16/52

Sunday, April 21, 2013

"a portrait of my children's artwork, once a week, every week, in 2013."

This week I watched the Dove's Real Beauty Sketches ad that has been going around. It made me feel something, not sure entirely what, but it did made me think. As one of five sisters and the mother of two young girls, body image and self worth are something I think about often. One of our most memorable and poignant women's group meetings was on body image and the topic seems to come up frequently when I am together with friends. Unsure of my initial reaction, I started to google people's responses to it. Of course, I found many. One that I came across was this response by Jazz Brice on her Tumblr, Jazzy Little Drops. She makes some insightful points and it's worth a read, just as the Dove video is worth a watch. My personal opinion lies somewhere in between.

This morning I woke to Sienna handing me a picture she drew of herself. She was so proud of it, she loved it! And I love that she is still completely free of this issue right now. I want to do my best to ensure that my girls grow up as self-assured, compassionate women, who have an expansive definition of beauty, 
who whose primary focus is not their body, and who have a self-love and self-worth that no one can ever take away from them. 

+++


s: "This is me. A happy girl with her cat."
o: It's been a hard week for this little one, sick and a full of tears. "I don't want to make art," followed by a foot stomp.

Last week I loved these three sisters. This looks like a fun bunch and I love their caravan!


I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ad and the article. What did you feel after going through both. Thought provoking, right? 

9 comments:

  1. Oh I adore the potrait of your kids' art work concept.
    That cat and the smiley girl are wonderful.
    LOTS of thoughts about body image here.
    I have three girls, one of which is 6 months away from being a teenager and it is all a bit overwhelming. I haven't seen the ad but will follow your link now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I can image with three and embarking on the teenage years you are thinking about it. So happy to find your lovely blog too.

      Delete
  2. It definitely brought up a lot of emotions for me, as I have and continue to struggle with body image and loving myself as I am. But while it was very interesting to see how we don't really see ourselves as others do, I thought it was really scratching the surface of the larger issue; it was still about how we look. Just a thought :)
    xxJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the reason the dove ad evoked so much emotion in women and floated so much around the web because there is a statement in there that is true: us as women DO NOT realize our own beauty, we do not know our own power and strength. That being said Dove is still trying to sell us something. It is marketed to us. An ad with a message we needed to hear. sigh. Which is just unfortunate (and their parent company is company that produces pretty sexist commercials). Sigh. Sometimes we can't win.

    One thing I do know is that I have really dry sensitive skin and Dove products don't work for me.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much agree Rebecca. Women do not realize our own beauty and more importantly our physical appearance isn't where our real beauty lies.

      Delete
  4. I was at a party the other night with a group of super smart, creative and talented women- all beautiful in their own unique way- and at one point I found myself listening to each one listing what they didn't like about themselves- arms, upper thighs, tummy, blemishes- so sad that as a group we were bonding over shared flaws and each were so insecure about something- but ask each one about the other and each one would tell you the other is strong, smart, talented, beautiful and perfect!

    We have been sold such an image of perfection that plays on our emotions- I think Dove has just found another way to sell something using us once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I experience the same thing often too. It really does break my heart. And I agree that ultimately this Dove piece is an ad, and like you said, it's playing on our emotions to buy something. But the byproduct of the dialog is great.

      Delete
  5. p.s. my daughter likes your daughter's art work!

    ReplyDelete