collected, weekly

Thursday, March 7, 2013


the list (clockwise)................................................................................

1• A perfect springtime palette. The pale wood, subtle orange brick, mix of yellow hues, and pops of navy, bring just the right warmth and light.

2• The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon. I stumble across this book from time to time and always read an excerpt. It is a journal, some call it the original blog, written by a noblewoman in tenth century Japan. Although it doesn't beckon me to read it in it's entirety, there are many elements that draw me in. I like that the passing of time is documented by the seasons and weekly routines. The months and days aren't named but called by their order, at the end of the second month, during the long rains of the fifth month. She numbers each entry and lists quirky everyday things like, things that one is in a hurry to see or hear. I have kept journals from time to time, but haven't stuck with it. I like the idea of just jotting down one thought or observation a day, numbered. Maybe I'll do that here. Here's a peek at her thoughts on painting.
74. Things That Lose by Being Painted
Pinks, cherry blossoms, yellow roses. Men or women who are praised in romances as being beautiful.  
75. Things That Gain by Being Painted
Pines. Autumn fields. Mountain villages and paths. Cranes and deer. A very cold winter scene; an unspeakably hot summer scene. 

3• While researching our springtime garden project at school, I found this milk jug watering can and tried it at home. So simple and the girls are wild about them. 

4• Basquiat has long been one of my favorite artists. I just found this piece called now's the time. love it. 

5• If you want to know some of my favorite colors, look to Colour Code. Love the styling, names and the graphics. Not to mention, her braids are killing me. Found via one of my favorite graphic design blogs Breanna Rose

6• Popsicle by Ordinary Myth. So fresh, the girls loved this piece. 

7• This post by Sweet Amandine was one of the best things I've read in awhile. It referred to many smart articles and the practice of marginalia, something that I do regularly. 

8• All you need is less. No need to say more. Found via The Handmade Home.

9• To see what happy looks like, stroll through the studio of Kirra Jamison, on one of my favorite sites.

10• I love the mix of the taupe leather and gold in this Anaise Job Hunting Bracelet.

11• The beautiful work called Gau, that serves as my background, is by the sculptor and artist Edwardo Chillida

Tell me, what are you loving lately?

2 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of jotting numbered notes down. I may try that as well. I love journaling and I find I tend to journal off and on throughout my life. I was journaling to my daughter but haven't picked up the pen in a few months. I think this blogging business sometimes overshadows the "written" word and I really need to get back into it, for my daughter and myself.

    I'm loving pinterest's bedroom boards. I'm wanting to jazz up our bedroom, making it comfy but beautiful and quiet and I'm getting a lot of inspiration from pinterest these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Summer. You have been blogging so much longer than me, so I understand that feeling. For me, I am finally writing. I wasn't doing much of anything outside list making before staring to blog, so I am feeling good about it. I think I needed the outside pressure to be accountable for actually taking the time to document and write.

      Delete